Skip to main content

You Had Me at Hello.... With Pizza!

Hello all!

Again apologies on my part for being radio silent again but it hasn't been too long right?
My excuse this time is because of work and beginning school. I transferred to work at a Noodles & Company here so I can make a living since I didn't have a graduate assistantship position. So I was working almost 40 hours a week there and then just sleeping, showering, and eating at my apartment. The cooking thing has been going decently well. I found out from a girl in my program another grocery store to go to that's relatively cheaper and actually a bit closer so I do almost all of my grocery shopping there now. The jalepeno lime chicken was delicious but it definitely could have used a bit more of a kick. I did remove the seeds from the jalepenos so for the future I leave a few seeds in. I didn't know how to anticipate how spicy the food would be.

I've sunken into my habit of making pita pizza again as well. If you think about it, it's a great single serving meal to make when cooking for one. All you need is pita bread, marinara sauce, veggies, pepperoni, and cheese (give or take a few ingredients.) Marinara sauce tends to have a slightly thicker consistency than pizza sauce so my mom's trick for me to thin it out with flavor was to mix it with a bit of olive oil and some oregano to taste. So spread the sauce on the pita bread, top it however you want, and then pop it in the microwave, toaster over, or full range oven depending on your preference and voila you have a personal pizza! If you're in the mood for a crispy pizza crust, take a plain pita bread and lightly coat it on both sides with olive oil (because it has better flavoring to it) and place it on the stove top in a pan on low heat and let that toast the bread. Once it becomes the right crispy-ness for you, you're ready to use it. Just be sure not to over toast it because you will be heating it again later on. Feeling like a variation on the pizza? You can make a pesto pizza and look super fancy! I bought just a regular jar of pesto sauce from Trader Joe's and used that to spread on my pita bread. You can leave it as is or you can top with veggies and chicken and cheese and then it's ready to heat. I did both and I got to say how much I love my pesto sauce!

Switching gears to school, classes have started and I have mixed feelings about it. Being out of school for two years, it feels weird being back in a classroom and learning again but it's only been the second day so maybe ask me again how I feel when midterms roll around (if you have midterms in grad school.) It's been great to get to learn material that you have not been completely exposed to and I am definitely excited to be back in school doing something I want to be doing. The cohort seems pretty great so far. The week before was filled with orientation activities on building the community, the ideas we have, and the "rules" we have for one another. The night portion was filled with social events hosted by the second year students to allow for a more bonding as a whole EdAd group and getting to know more people you haven't had a conversation with yet. I am one of 20 people and 1 of 18 females with 2 males in the group. As you can tell, Student Affairs tends to be a more female dominated field. It's exciting to see how the year will play out as we've already been assigned group projects and we're already in full swing.
I finally was offered an assistantship and I almost cried. I interviewed for one in the Modern Language Department at the university and that same day I received an offer. I was so happy because it also meant I was able to gain more experience and then I wouldn't have to explain my situation to everyone else asking me what my assistantship was. It's been great so far and my supervisor is a really good person too and she just seems so interested in a lot of things revolving around the program so it's nice being able to tell her about Student Affairs. It's nice being able to have a set schedule as well from having my schedule change a few times at Noodles. As soon as I get into the swing of things here, I'm hoping to find a 5K race to run and officially move up to a 10K by the end of this year. I wish I would able to be home for the Hot Chocolate Run but I'll still be here in Lincoln, I know Omaha has a few races because the city's bigger than Lincoln so maybe I'll do one out there. Hoping I will officially be "trained" and ready to run a 10K by the time the Big Ten 10K arrives next summer cause I will officially be a part of a Big Ten school now, how weird is that?

Alright, thank you for reading humans and hopefully I will talk to you soon. I have a few cooking things on my horizon: salmon potato hash I made earlier, cupcakes I am making Thursday, and Viet Namese spring rolls I am making on Wednesdays!

Comments